Part of the process of becoming a licensed commercial driver is completing a DOT physical exam. This is the testing factor to get a commercial driver license. Only certain locations perform a commercial driver medical exam, and you must meet certain requirements to proceed with the exam.
The DOT Physical: What You Need to Know
If you’re about to embark on the process to become a licensed commercial driver, you’ll be required to go through the DOT physical exam.
What does the test consist of?
The DOT physical is a way to find out if a candidate is in good health for commercial driving. The main purpose is to prevent candidates with certain health concerns that could affect their driving from obtaining a commercial license.
The test will check the following:
- Lungs and chest health
- Heart health
- Mouth and throat health
- General appearance
- Extremities such as a limb impaired
- Abdomen and viscera health
What are the requirements to pass the exam?
To become licensed, you must pass the DOT physical with the following:
- A healthy blood pressure/pulse rate: They will test you for irregular heart rate and high blood pressure.
- Good hearing: You must be able to hear a “forced whisper” from five to ten feet away without any hearing assistance.
- Vision: It is required to have a vision of 20/40 acuity in each eye with or without correction.
Before your exam, fill out the required paperwork that will be needed when you go to your scheduled DOT exam. This will make the process go by more quickly on your exam day. It will also ensure the location where you’re getting your exam will have your medical record.
A DOT Physical Exam Location
If you’re looking to get a DOT physical exam, we provide these exams at Las Vegas Urgent Care. View and print our Medical Examination Report and bring it with you on exam day. Schedule your appointment today!