A DOT Physical Exam is required in order for you to get your CDL, or commercial driver’s license. Some jobs that are going to need this are bus and truck driving companies. If you have never had a DOT physical exam before then you may be nervous about going to get one.
THINGS TO PLAN FOR IN ADVANCE
- If you have a diabetic condition then you should bring a list of medications that you have as well as the doctor who prescribed them to you
- If you suffer from high blood pressure then you are going to want to bring a list of medications that you may be on to control your blood pressure as well as the doctor who prescribed them to you
- If you have a heart condition, or have ever had a heart attack, then you are going to need to bring in a copy of your last stress test
- If you suffer from sleep apnea then you should bring in a copy of your latest sleep test results
- You should bring in a list of all the prescription medicines that you are taking, including the strength and dosage. You should also list any over-the-counter medications, antacids or allergy pills that you may be taking as well
- It will be important for you to also provide any contact information for your primary doctors in case there is any documentation that you may need for them to send to you
High blood pressure can also have a negative effect on your DOT examination. But, there are some things that you should do in order to manage your blood pressure.
THINGS TO DO IN ORDER TO MANAGE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE
- Be sure that you do not run out of your prescribed blood-pressure medication
- Make sure that you are taking your medication on schedule
- If you are significantly late in taking your blood pressure medication then you should tell the doctor who is conducting the DOT physical. If your blood pressure is too high then you may want to have your blood pressure rechecked either later that day or the next day.
- Cut back on the caffeine and nicotine. This can help improve your blood pressure.
- Reduce the amount of salty foods that you eat. If you can avoid adding salt to our food then you can help to lower your blood pressure.
Managing your blood pressure can help you during your exam. When your blood pressure is too high, it could have an effect on you passing the exam.
THINGS TO REMEMBER ON THE DAY OF THE PHYSICAL EXAM
- Remember to bring the medical records you have prepared in advance, including a list of all medications you are taking
- If you wear glasses or corrective lenses make sure that you bring them.
- Drink lots of water. You are going to need to pee in a cup for the drug test.
Having a physical done is not very scary. It is actually a pretty easy procedure. There is nothing to worry about. If you have any questions, the doctor you will be working with will know how to answer them.
If you are in need of a DOT Physical, then contact Las Vegas Urgent Care. They have the experience and expertise needed to perform your DOT physical as well as answer any questions that you may have. Contact Las Vegas Urgent Care today.