Whether you’re spending a lot of time indoors to beat the summer heat, or hiding in your house to avoid the winter blues, there’s a high chance you’ll come down with a cold. A runny nose, green-yellow mucus, body aching, coughing are just a few signs you may have a cold. Discover some common cold symptoms and how we treat the common cold at Las Vegas Urgent Care.
Cold symptoms can be minor or so intense that they take you out of work for a few days. Here are the common symptoms for the early stage of a cold:
- Scratchy throat
- Body aching
- Runny nose
- Fatigue feeling/tiredness
In the later stages you may also experience:
Many people try to ignore their symptoms when they first emerge, but it is essential to start cold treatment early on. Over-the-counter medicine can help mitigate these symptoms. Opting for a comforting dish such as chicken soup or another brothy soup will help replenish vitamins and hydrate your body to give you the best chance at recovering from the cold.
Common Cold Treatment
Many people distinguish colds between head colds and chest colds. A head cold is primarily defined by symptoms that are centralized in the patient’s head—clogged sinuses, runny nose, and headaches. A chest cold is mainly characterized by chest aches, coughing up mucus, and fevers. However, head cold treatment and chest cold treatment are generally the same.
There’s no “cure” for the common cold virus—your body will eventually fight off the infection, so you just have to give your body the best chance at defeating it.
Here’s what you can do to mitigate symptoms:
- Take ibuprofen to relieve body aches
- Avoid smoking as it can irritate the mucus lining of your throat and lungs and prolong your cold
- Use cough syrup to help you get some rest and suppress coughing
- Increase your vitamin C intake by eating more fresh fruit and taking vitamin supplements
- Stay hydrated by drinking liquids (water, orange juice, herbal tea)
- Taking a steamy shower or using a humidifier to help relieve body aches and sinus headaches
What You Can Do to Recover
To recover from your cold as quickly as possible, it’s important to be mindful of your body and avoid overworking as your body focuses on fighting off the virus.
Here are some tips for cold treatment and recovery:
- Eat chicken soup or broth-based soups to nourish your body and help with hydration
- Get lots of rest—your body focuses on recovery while you sleep so try to call out of work or school if possible
- Ease symptoms by using cough suppressants and lozenges so you can get better rest
- Wash your hands frequently and avoid too much physical contact with others to avoid spreading the virus
Visit Las Vegas Urgent Care
If your cold symptoms last longer than 10 days or become too severe to deal with on your own, you may have something more serious that requires urgent attention. Visit Las Vegas Urgent Care to get a diagnosis and professional help as quickly as possible.